Monday, July 30, 2012

Sunday Dinner Pasta Primevera

For yesterday's dinner I made pasta primavera. I found this recipe on the back of a Velveeta cheese box but made it my own way, with fresh vegetables minus the broccoli and added a few ingredients. I know Velveeta cheese is not the best but I bought the low fat kind and I figure it has less calories than making my own creamy cheese sauce. This is a simple dinner even with the chopping of the vegetables, which you can do while you wait for the water to boil for the pasta. The first time I made it I used half a box of pasta, this time I added more vegetables and used the whole box of pasta. I wanted to make enough to have lots of leftovers. When making a Sunday dinner I always make a recipe that has leftovers, it is always comforting not having to cook on a Monday night.


The Ingredients are:

  1. Penne pasta 1 box 
  2. 12 ounces Velveeta cheese cut into small cubes 
  3. 1 tablespoon butter 
  4. 5 carrots chopped 
  5. 1 half yellow onion 
  6. 1 bag frozen broccoli 
  7. 2 red peppers 
  8. fresh ground pepper



 This recipe has 8 servings, it is a great way to get people eat their vegetables. If you want to make this meal quicker you could use frozen vegetables, but in my opinion the meal is much better with fresh vegetables. 

While the pasta is boiling start cooking the vegetables, heat pan on medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of butter to pan. Add the carrots and onion first, cook for 4 minutes, add the red pepper and brocolli cook 4 minutes you want to constantly stir the vegetables. At the last 2 minutes of the pasta cooking turn the heat on the vegetables down to low and add the cheese. You want to constantly stir the cheese into the vegetables to help prevent the cheese from sticking to the bottom of the pan.

When your pasta is done cooking drain and pour into large bowl, pour the vegetable cheese mixture into the bowl. Add your black pepper and stir pasta, I used tongs to mix the pasta and vegetables. You can half this recipe.

Due to my own technical difficulties, I lost all my prep photos but here is a picture of the finished product:

No comments:

Post a Comment